HELP US CELEBRATE OUR 15 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
We can’t believe it was 15 years ago! In 2004, hundreds of progressive activists organized a huge grass roots turnout in neighborhoods across Philadelphia for the Democratic presidential candidate, John Kerry. With strong support from MoveOn, we kept Pennsylvania “blue” with a massive turnout in Philadelphia even as Kerry lost nationwide.
Energized by this experience of working in our neighborhoods, a core group of those campaign organizers convened in June 2005 at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and two hundred people showed up. By the end of the day, Philadelphia Neighborhood Networks had been born.
That day, our foundational idea was to create an enduring organization that would push for candidates and policies to advance a progressive platform for healthcare, environment, civil rights and economic justice in Philadelphia, in Pennsylvania, and at the national level. And fifteen years later, we look back with pride at what we’ve accomplished, helping enact a wide range of people centered legislation and elect a strong core of leaders who led the fights to enact those bills.
We’d love to have a big in-person Gala to celebrate those 15 years of struggle and accomplishments, but the pandemic squashed that idea. But frankly, in these perilous times the most important thing to do is not to celebrate, but to rededicate – to make sure that PNN is around and can continue for another 15 years, working with our allies to make the transformative change we so desperately need. And we need your help to do that.
IF YOU’RE READY TO GIVE RIGHT NOW TO HELP PNN CONTINUE AND THRIVE, THANK YOU.
BUT IF YOU’D LIKE TO HEAR A BIT MORE ABOUT WHAT WE’VE ACCOMPLISHED OVER THE YEARS, KEEP READING BELOW.
Over the years, PNN has grown to a network of over 2,600 committed activists. Yes, the work isn’t finished, but we’ve accomplished much:
- Mounting dozens of door-to-door neighborhood canvasses that helped to elect Philadelphia trailblazers Helen Gym, Kendra Brooks, Art Haywood, Chris Rabb, Larry Krasner; and several progressive members of the PA Supreme Court;
- Helping the movement to turn PA Blue by going door-to-door for numerous Democratic suburban candidates like Carolyn Commita, Leanne Kreuger-Braneky, Joe Ciresi, Perry Warren;
- Training hundreds of volunteers over the years to canvass, phone call, and now to do digital organizing during the pandemic;
- Formation of, or participation in, important citywide coalitions fighting for a wide range of justice issues, such as fully funding public education, defunding and/or repurposing the police, creating a Philadelphia public bank, increasing the affordable housing supply, health care for all, raising the minimum wage, and promoting a clean and sustainable environment;
- Promoting important legislation in City Council: Emergency Housing Protection Act, Fair Work Week, Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, Banning Plastic Bags, reducing the tax abatement by half, raising the minimum wage of City subcontractors to $15/hour.
There is still much more to do. First and foremost we must reclaim the White House! That means defeating Donald Trump in November.
We’ve seen firsthand what Trump and his Republican party will allow. Millions have died and suffered as a few hold this country hostage. PNN is planning a massive voter mobilization campaign to take back control of the White House. But we need funds to staff up and master the outreach required to aid voters challenged by the pandemic and overcome the obstacles seniors, sick and shut-ins face.
MAKE A DONATION TO HELP US DEFEAT TRUMP IN 2020 SO THAT WE CAN BE STRONGER AS WE PUSH FOR CHANGE IN OUR SOCIETY IN THE NEXT 15 YEARS.
We must also work vigorously in the political landscape closer to home. The status quo doesn’t begin to address the issues our city and state face in areas such as housing, criminal justice, jobs, and medical care. Your support is vital to make the local changes necessary to protect our City and State.
Maybe it’s a good thing that we won’t be spending our time and money on a Gala this year. Perhaps the times are calling us to come together swiftly and simply, each of us offering what we can to push for the people’s agenda we so desperately want and need. Let’s do it!
DONATE TODAY – 15 YEARS STRONG AND 15 MORE TO GO
- If you were there at the beginning of PNN, donate now
- If you joined us along the way, donate now
- If you want to get more involved in the future, donate now
Thank you for your support of PNN, and for all you do.